If you are unhappy with the appearance of your teeth and smile, several cosmetic dentistry treatments can fix that. Porcelain veneers offer a transformative solution for various types of dental imperfections that can help enhance your smile and your confidence. The team of dentists at Longview Family Dental can provide you with custom porcelain veneers in Longview, TX to help you with a brighter, more beautiful smile.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are ultra-thin, custom-designed shells that are bonded to the front surface of teeth. The teeth veneers are made of high-quality ceramic that can be crafted to match the color, translucency, and texture of natural teeth. This will create a seamless and natural-looking smile. Dental veneers made from porcelain offer an aesthetic appeal, are very durable, and offer versatility. This makes them a popular choice for patients who want to improve the appearance of their teeth.
What Types of Cosmetic Issues Can Porcelain Veneers Fix?
- Stained or Discolored Teeth: Dental veneers are a popular treatment for stained or discolored teeth that do not respond to professional teeth whitening. This includes stains caused by excessive fluoride, tetracycline, or other causes. They offer a permanent solution to teeth whitening when conventional methods are not an option.
- Chipped or Broken Teeth: Teeth veneers can be placed on teeth to hide chips and fractures. This will restore the tooth’s appearance and improve the smile. It will also protect the tooth and prevent further damage.
- Misaligned or Irregularly Shaped Teeth: Porcelain veneers can create a uniform and straight smile by concealing misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped teeth.
- Gaps Between Teeth: Dental veneers can close minor gaps between teeth. This will create a more even and aesthetically pleasing smile.
- Worn Down Teeth: Your dentist may suggest teeth veneers to restore the length and shape of worn-down teeth. This will improve the bite, rejuvenate the smile, and improve functionality.
Am I a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
Most people will qualify for porcelain veneers. If you are in good health, have good oral health, and have oral hygiene habits, you can likely get dental veneers. Before our cosmetic dentists will treat a patient with teeth veneers, they will require a consultation first. They will assess your oral health and discuss your goals. Generally, candidates should have:
- Sufficient Tooth Enamel: During the porcelain veneer procedure, your dentist will remove a small amount of enamel to make room for the restoration. Patients should have enough enamel for this process.
- Good Oral Health: Issues like gum disease or tooth decay need to be addressed before getting veneers.
- Realistic Expectations: Patients need to have realistic expectations about the outcome of the procedure. For the results to last, they must be willing to maintain proper oral hygiene once the veneers are in place.
The Porcelain Veneer Process
The first step is to prepare the teeth. Your dentist will need to remove a small amount of tooth enamel to create room for the tooth veneer. It is typically less than a millimeter that is removed from the tooth’s surface. Then we will take dental impressions that will be used to fabricate your dental veneers.
A dental lab will fabricate your permanent dental veneers. This process typically takes a few weeks. In the meantime, we place temporary veneers to protect the prepared teeth while the permanent veneers are being crafted in the dental laboratory. We will fabricate and place the temporary veneers here in our office.
Once the permanent, custom veneers are ready, you will return to the office, about 2 to 3 weeks later. First, we will remove your temporary dental veneers. Then we will bond your new porcelain veneers to your teeth using a special adhesive.
Your dentist will make any final adjustments to ensure the veneers fit comfortably and blend seamlessly with the surrounding teeth.
Caring for Porcelain Veneers
Proper care is crucial to maintain the longevity and appearance of porcelain veneers:
Maintaining proper oral hygiene is a must. Continue with regular brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash to keep your mouth healthy and the veneers clean.
Avoiding substances that stain easily will keep them looking bright. Minimize the consumption of staining substances like coffee, tea, red wine, and tobacco to prevent discoloration.
Porcelain veneers are strong, but they are not indestructible. If you grind your teeth at night, consider wearing a night guard to protect your veneers from damage. Also, avoid chewing on hard objects that may chip the teeth veneers such as ice, hard candy, or pen caps.
Schedule your regular dental check-ups to ensure the dental veneers are in good condition and your overall oral health is maintained.
Schedule a Consultation for Porcelain Veneers in Longview, TX
Porcelain veneers can help you achieve a Hollywood smile. If you want a flawless, natural-looking smile, consider porcelain veneers in Longview, TX. To see if you are a candidate for porcelain veneers, please request an appointment online.